The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Monday, October 11, 2010

Monochromatic Amaryllis

A quick post to share this monochromatic Christmas card I made today.
This was for today's Splitcoast Clean and Simple Challenge, CAS88, to be inspired by the word "Crinkle." I was inspired to add a panel of crimped, or "crinkled," card stock.

I also made this for Flourishes' Timeless Tuesday Challenge, FTTC87, which was to use this sketch. I am also hoping to enter this card as one of a pair (to be completed later!) for Flourishes' October Christmas Spirit Challenge, which is 1 stamp, 2 looks! Basically the idea is to take one Flourishes Christmas stamp and use it to design two different cards with completely different looks. This amaryllis stamp I have from Flourishes Calendar Set 3 is the only Flourishes Christmas-y stamp I have, so this challenge really appealed to me!! I'm hoping to be back later in the week to complete the other half of this challenge. :) To be continued . . .

Today is Columbus Day, so our kids had the day off from school. I've been really busy this weekend getting projects ready for the Mark's Finest Papers October Blog Hop, which starts tomorrow. (There will be blog candy from MFP, so be sure to check back Tuesday through Friday this week!) Anyway, since I was wrapped up for most of the weekend, I let the kids pick a few favorite activities to do today as a treat. They requested Chuck E. Cheese and a trip to their favorite playground park. I don't mind taking them to CEC for the arcade games and play space a few times a year, as long as it isn't busy (as a rule, we never eat there, just play). So we decided to arrive right when they opened at 9 a.m. and we were delighted to have the entire place to ourselves for well over an hour!! The kids had received a gift of CEC tokens from their grandparents when we visited with them in August, so it didn't even cost us anything. They had a blast playing their favorite games and picking some prizes, and I got to be a hero for taking them. The tokens ran out just as other customers started to arrive, and we took that as our sign to leave. Sweet!

After mac & cheese for lunch here at home, we headed out to their favorite playground, Kid Spot, at a nearby town park. Aside from being a tiny bit cool (sweater weather!), it was a good day to play outside, and they played hard for an hour and a half while I sat on a bench reading a magazine that had been put aside all weekend while I worked. A wonderful break for all of us!!

Thanks for stopping by to check out my little slice of bliss for today!! See you again soon! :)

Card Recipe:
Stamps: Flourishes Calendar Set 3
Paper: Pink Paislee 365 Degrees DP , white & red card stock from The Paper Company
Ink: Versamark, Palette l'amore red
Accessories: SU scallop trim border, CM circle cutting system, SU modern label punch, paper crimper, dimensionals
Techniques: Poppin' Pastels

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily this is so beautiful! I love the monochrome look. the image looks beautiful on the pink background, and the texture of the crimped red card sets everything off so well. I can't wait to see Part 2!!

Marisa said...

Loving the red and white combo, Emily. I love using my crimper on cards and it looks fabulous here. Glad you got some reading time while the kids burned some steam :)

Kristy Smith said...

Emily what a BEAUTIFUL card! I absolutely love the color and design! The crinkled cardstock adds the perfect touch! As always, GREAT job!!! =)

Bonnie said...

Very pretty Emily! I can't wait to see the alternative!

Meg said...

Oh, that amaryllis is so pretty! I love the monochromatic look with it, but I can't wait to see what else you'll come up with for that stamp, too!

Love the crinkly crimping, too!

Sounds like you had a wonderful day off! Glad you got to enjoy it with your kids (and a magazine, too!).

Dawn B. said...

I rarely use monochromatic and love the way it looks. Your card is beautiful Emily.. Sounds like you had a great balance with the kids.. Wish we had had today off..

Silke Ledlow said...

Beautiful inspired card Emily!!! So glad you had a chance to play the Sketch with us!!! Hugs ~S~

Tenia Nelson said...

This card is soooooooo gorgeous Miss Emily!!!

Anonymous said...

oh, this is beautiful, emily! so striking in red and white; so cas and elegant. happy columbus day - sounds like fun.

Anita said...

Wow, this is a gorgeous card. Love it!