The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Soaring By

We're havin' a heat wave {OK, sing along with me now}, a tropical heat wave . . . While I do not enjoy the high temperatures we've been having, I do get a secret little kick out of extreme weather conditions and setting new records and such. Our little digital indoor/outdoor thermometer has a sensor in the shade on our north-facing front porch, and a little while ago it read 101F. That's the first time since we've had this thermometer that it's registered a three-digit temperature reading! It's not an official record or anything but it gives me a good excuse to stay inside in the cool air-conditioning and do a little something that makes me happy.

After the bustle of end-of-school-year activities and "honeymoon" period of summer vacation with the kids, I'm trying to settle back into a routine that includes the Splitcoaststampers daily challenges and others whenever possible. I enjoy them so much and it allows me a little bit of happy time each day! One of today's challenges was a color challenge to use these three colors.

It struck me as an odd combination at first, but I'm glad I tried it because I love the result! I also used this sketch challenge from Card Patterns.

And finally, I needed to decide on a theme for my card. Last month, I won a $25 gift certificate to Repeat Impressions in their WHAT IF? Wednesday sketch challenge. I had so much fun picking out and buying new rubber stamps from their website with my winnings and couldn't wait to use one of my new RI stamps, a cute kite stamp. Using a little pennant banner in cards or scrapbook layouts is really hot right now, and I challenged myself to try one those today, too. Here's the final result. I love how it turned out!

For supplies in this card project, please click here.

8 comments:

Crafty Math Chick said...

Terrific job with this color challenge emily! I thought it was a difficult one and this card ROCKS!

~Meredith

JenMarie said...

Absolutely LOVELY!

Karen said...

I love it Emily. That kite and the banner are great!

Joan Ervin said...

Hi Emily...it's sooo wonderful to see you in blog land!!!! Your card is sooo cute with the banner and adorable little kite...so fun!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Those banners really help make the card pop! You have a perfect card here, balanced, colors going well together, all elements working harmoniously. Beautiful!

Anita said...

Emily,

I love your card and that matching envelope is just perfect. Really like your new blog too!

Anita/Zacksmeema

Anonymous said...

Stunning card Emily, you've really used those colours wonderfully! Many congratulations on your lovely new blog (I also started one recently!) Hope you're having fun with it! Sally

Stacy Morgan said...

This is too cute. I like the banner, very fun.