The little things that make me happy here on Bliss Road~~Emily Keaton

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Inspired by Cakes

It was another hot one here yesterday--it got up to 99F in the afternoon!! While DH spent his Monday holiday working in the garage on his project car, I spent some time playing Clue with the kids while hiding inside in the A/C. Cool air on a hot day = bliss. :)

I've been teaching DD how to play cribbage, so we played a game after supper while the guys watched a DVR'd IndyCar race. I first learned to play cribbage when I was younger than DD, but I haven't played in years. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy this game! It can be complicated, but she is picking it up pretty well and it stayed a close game throughout. In the end, she beat me (fair and square!) and she was proud as punch. Fun!

After lots of fun times with my family over this holiday weekend and a lot of time working on setting up this blog, I finally was able to take a little time just for me to stamp after the kids were in bed. One of the Splitcoaststampers challenges today was to be inspired by one of the cakes on the Carrie's Cakes website. I enjoy decorating cakes myself (although I don't do nearly as much as I used to), so browsing this site was really fun for me. I was inspired by this yummy-looking cake.


It reminded me of a roll of printed kraft wrapping paper I picked up at our local Dollar Tree store last month, so I used that as my card background and ended up making this card. It was a quick and easy project. (Well, quick for me. "Speed" and "stamping" usually don't mix well for me.) I had fun layering my flower and adding some of my favorite embellishments: burlap string and hemp twine. Now, who can I send a card that says "Falling, Falling, Falling, Falling for you"??

For supplies in this card project, please click here.

5 comments:

Tenia Nelson said...

Love, love, love this card!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

A perfect take on that cake inspiration photo, Emily! Your blog is beautiful. I love the "fabric/paper" background. And what a cool blog title! I like the tongue-in-cheek reference. Great job setting up!

Stacy Morgan said...

Emily this is too cute. Great idea on the cake IC. And congrats on the blog! Yea... I played cribbage as a kid and have been teaching the twins. It is very fun and a memory when my grandfather taught me to play.

Anonymous said...

To our creative Gal on Bliss--

Congratulations on your creative and original blog. AJ will be proud that you are indeed doing some writing.

Hugs!

Julie Ranae said...

Really lovely work and your posts are so sweet.
I am your newest follower and am going to add you to my blog roll for recommended new blogs to follow...
Hope you will stop by Julie's Open Window, follow along with me and have some fun : )